Saturday, January 30, 2010

Uphill




I am tired from my head to my nalgas (butt) to my toes.

Today we took an incredible four+ hour and gazillion kilometers mountain bike ride from the center of Guanajuato, up the orito old mining road, through several tiny pueblitos like Concepcíon and Santa Rosa, and then back down the steep and winding highway and through the tunnels and into town. We were guided by a super guide from Bike Station Guanajuato, Eduardo, who has lived here his whole life. Mi corazón está en Guanajuato, he said as he led us through town at the beginning of the ride. My heart is in Guanajuato. He has big dreams of growing the biking community here, and the area definitely has so much to offer. The ride wound through cactus and forest and past old mines and churches and revealed spectacular mountain views. It was also a gnarly climb, and once we left the dirt roads and turned on to what could loosely be called a single-track, it was very difficult for someone of my limited technical skills. At one point, near the top of yet another steep stretch, I shouted jubilantly, ¡Voy a hacerlo! - I'm going to do it! - and then tipped over on my side.

As I pushed my bike ahead of me, I wondered, Will the uphill ever end? Can my legs and lungs not magically get stronger?

And as I muddle my way through each Spanish conversation, whether on a bike or in a classroom, often speaking nonsense, I wonder, Will I ever be able to speak with ease? Can I wake up tomorrow and magically be fluent?

2 comments:

  1. "Voy a hacerlo" is going to be my motto for the week. What an incredible work-out! My legs felt tired just reading it.

    I don't know if you can ever speak another language with ease. I mean, I still fumble over finding the right words when explaining things in English. I think your large vocabulary and knowledge base sure makes it easier though!

    Love you.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your biking adventure as well as your earlier post about Callejon Temezcuitate. Your wonderful writing and the pictures take me with you in my imagination. I agree with Anne Marie, "Voy a hacerlo" will by my motto for the week, too! I'm confident that the language fluency you wish for will come to you.

    ReplyDelete